Parent to Parent: Elementary to Middle School Transition!
Time & Location
About The Event
Moving from Elementary to Middle School is a giant leap and brings a lot of questions.
- Will my child be able to navigate a school that is so much bigger than their grade school?
- How will my child handle all the transitions between classrooms and how should I prepare them?
- Should we ride the bus, walk or use the car line?
- How do all the teachers learn about my childs IEP/504 and how can I ensure that they all have the info they need?
- Is my child ready to come to their own IEP meetings?
- What kind of communication can I expect?
- How does homework work?
- What accessibility issues are there in the building?
- How can my child integrate into the social network at this new school?
- What accomodations should I include regarding the locker rooms and PE?
- How can I help my child learn to be a strong self-advocate?
- What plans should be in place for when my child gets overwhelmed or confused at school?
This will be a roundtable discussion with families who have already navigated this big transition. You will have a chance to talk with parents from mulitiple East Central Illinois disctricts on things they learned during the transition year and things they wish they had known going into the transition.
We will have volunteers available to watch kids and to help them with a couple of crafts while the parents talk in the next room. There will be light refreshments. As always, if you need something special, please feel free to bring your own snacks and drinks along.